Monday, April 14, 2014

Crossfit Local - Chapel Hill: Victoria Baskett Vies for Miss NC Title

984045_10152276054730605_1812654475_n
Crossfit Local - Chapel Hill
For those of you who haven’t met me yet, my name is Victoria Baskett. In June of 2013, I made five doctors visits in three days in Chapel Hill, North Carolina where I was attending summer school. The fifth and final visit was the UNC Emergency Department where I was placed into life-saving emergency surgery for a blockage in my airway caused by Ludwig’s Angina and received a tracheal intubation. I was in a medically induced coma and on life support for the three days to follow. If I had not been so persistent about my health care, and in tune enough with my body to know something was wrong other than the diagnosis I kept receiving, I would not be here today.

With a story to tell, I have developed a platform from two common sayings that ring very true in my heart and life. “Get In Tune” is a phrase that was used by my high school wind ensemble instructor at the beginning of every class meeting. As I think about the importance of having my flute in tune before I play, I relate it to the importance of having your individual instrument (your body) in tune to be able to live a healthy life. The other part of my platform title, “JUST BREATHE,” is derived from simple instructions the doctor gave me in the Emergency Room while waiting for surgery. He stated, “Victoria your job for me now is to just breathe.” I am now partnering with the NC Children’s Airway Center, relating to each individual child’s experience with the job of needing to JUST BREATHE.

This will be my personal platform as I compete for the title of Miss North Carolina this coming June as your Miss Greater Cape Fear 2014. June will be a monumental month for me. As I chase my dreams and vie for this prestigious title, the month will also mark one year of me becoming a survivor, and forever being thankful for each day this beautiful life gives us.

My commitment to training at CrossFit Local for Miss North Carolina has changed my life in more way than one. The most important way is that I now know that I can and absolutely will reach any goal that I set for myself with hard work and determination. The stories of the coaches and athletes, and their support in this journey, provide me with constant motivation. I know that each weight I lift, each pull-up I attempt to do (I will get one sometime soon!), and every push up my shaking arms complete are only making me that much stronger on the inside and out!

Thank you Chad, Kelly, each of the coaches and all of the athletes at CrossFit Local for supporting me on this journey!

Crossfit Local in Chapel Hill - a strength and conditioning program centered on functional fitness. We believe that people of all ages and levels of activity benefit from combining basic functional movements in varied ways to elicit greater personal fitness. We use pullups, lifts, gymnastics movements, running, rowing, climbing, kettlebells, sandbags, and even tire flips to produce rapid fitness results. We specialize in not specializing. We train the young, the old, the professional athlete, the weekend warrior, the student, the parent, and the beginner. CrossFit produces world class athletes and healthy individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment