Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chapel Hill Crossfit: What’s in that bottle anyway?


What’s in that bottle anyway?  
by Coach Kelly


I get asked this question a lot here at CrossFit Local. My answer depends on when you’re asking.

Prior to a WOD when I’m sliding my weight belt on and tying my lifting shoes, the answer is simple: AUX. This is a pre-WOD supplement containing amino acids that I have found to enhance my performance. One scoop + water = PRs! Works for me.

Right after I pick my sweaty, out-of-breath-self off the floor, I hustle off to make a beautiful post-WOD concoction. And no, this is not of the ‘it’s 5 o’clock somewhere’ variety.

First, why does it matter that I make this drink so quickly after my WOD?

The first 30 minutes (up to an hour) post WOD is a time period when amino acids and glycogen can be readily absorbed while decreasing inflammation. Read: faster recovery.

Second, why do I care about this drink?

Because I care about my performance, fitness and strength gains as well as my recovery. I like increasing muscle strength while minimizing muscle damage. WODs are hard on your body. Do what you can to speed up recovery and you’ll be less sore and see faster strength and conditioning gains.


Last, seriously, what’s in it?

Okay, okay here’s my secret:

Coconut water – I LOVE it in my shake! it’s great for recovery & it tastes really good :) It’s basically nature’s Gatorade.

Whey Protein – Mine is the Stronger Faster Healthier, grass-fed free-range variety (in chocolate). One scoop = strength & recovery.


Creatine – One scoop; Replenishes ATP = speed, strength and endurance
.

Glutamine – One scoop; Amino acid that helps build protein = recovery.

Interested in trying out some protein without buying a 2 lb container first? Try one of the single-serving sizes in the CFL Pro Shop!

E-mail me with questions!


Crossfit Local in Chapel Hill - a strength and conditioning program centered on functional fitness. We believe that people of all ages and levels of activity benefit from combining basic functional movements in varied ways to elicit greater personal fitness. We use pullups, lifts, gymnastics movements, running, rowing, climbing, kettlebells, sandbags, and even tire flips to produce rapid fitness results. We specialize in not specializing. We train the young, the old, the professional athlete, the weekend warrior, the student, the parent, and the beginner. CrossFit produces world class athletes and healthy individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment